Late on Thursday evening, President Trump ordered air strikes on Syria, in retaliation for chemical weapon attacks that are blamed on Syrian President Assad. At latest report, 59 Tomahawk Missiles were launched upon the air field from which the chemical attack was supposedly launched. We at Men of the West condemn these attacks for several reasons.
- It is not truly clear that Assad facilitated the chemical attacks.
- Contrary to Trump’s claims, even if Assad did call for the attacks, this is not something that is in the “vital national security interest” of the United States.
- This action needlessly provokes Russia.
- It detracts and distracts from things that are important for American interests.
- It directly violates Trump’s earlier position – the one that those who voted for him expected.
- It seems that Trump’s reaction was based on emotion, not thoughtful deliberation.
- It further destabilizes the region.
All in all, this is a poor decision. It is a bad move on Trump’s part.
We will post more, as information comes in, and the situation develops.